So these are nice days for Hololens developers, Wave 2 of device distribution is already started and we’ve got a new system update with tons of news. Let’s start with this nice video from the Hololens team
The full list of changes can be found here (release notes). I’ll focus on the most important ones
Now we can run several apps at the same, up to three at the same time.
We have new voice commands like
- “Bigger” / “Smaller” to change an hologram size
- “Face me” to look at a hologram and rotate it
- “Hey Cortana, move <App Name> here” to move an app
We can take virtual reality photos in a “click” using the volume up and down buttons
This update includes better support for Bluetooth, to improve user experience using a mouse (new!) or a keyboard
And some other cool ones
- The maximum recording length of mixed reality videos has been increased to five minutes.
- Photos app now streams videos from OneDrive instead of having to download the entire video before playback.
- Groove Music app is now on HoloLens. Visit the store to download it and try playing in the background.
- You can easily customize how apps are arranged in your world. Try rotating your holograms in adjust mode by simply click and drag on circle in the middle vertical wireframes. You might notice holograms have tighter fitted bounding boxes to ensure maximized interaction. You can also resize all flat apps vertically (except Photos and Hologram apps).
There is also a new version of the Hololens Emulator (link) with some interesting features. I’ll share all of them from the Release Notes page
We fixed an issue
- that blocks the ability to resume a XAML application.
- where a crash would leave a black screen and some jagged lines.
- scrolling would sometimes stick in the wrong direction when using some apps.
- the power LEDs could indicate an off state when the device was still on.
- WiFi could get turned off after resuming from standby.
- the Xbox identity provider offers gamertag setup and then gets stuck in a loop.
- the Shell occasionally crashes when selecting a downloaded file in the OneDrive File Picker.
- pressing and holding on a link sometimes both opens a new, broken tab and opens a context menu.
- where windows device portal didn’t allow IPD adjustments from 50 to 80
We fixed issues with Photos where
- an image would occasionally display rotated due to ignoring the EXIF orientation property.
- it could crash during start-up on pinned Photos.
- videos would restart after pausing instead of continuing from where last paused.
- replay of a shared video could be prevented if it was shared while playing.
- Mixed Reality Capture recordings would begin with 0.5-1 second of audio only feed.
- the Sync button disappears during initial OneDrive sync.
We fixed issues with settings where
- a refresh was needed when the environment changes.
- ‘Enter’ on keyboard would not behave like clicking Next in some dialogs.
- it was hard to know when the clicker failed pairing.
- it could become unresponsive with WiFi disconnect and connect.
We fixed issues with Cortana where
- it could get stuck displaying the Listening UI.
- asking “Hey Cortana, what can I say” from an exclusive mode app would get stuck if you answered maybe rather yes/no to the request to exit the app.
- the Cortana listening UI doesn’t resume correctly if you ask Cortana to go to sleep and then resume.
- the queries “What network am I connected to?” and the “Am I connected?” could fail when the first network profile comes back with no connectivity.
- the UI froze on “Listening” but upon exiting an app would immediately began doing speech recognition again.
- where signing out of the Cortana app wouldn’t let you sign back into it until a reboot.
- it would not launch when Mixed Reality Capture UI was active.
We fixed issues with Visual Studio where
- background task debugging did not work.
- frame analysis in the graphics debugger did not work.
- the HoloLens Emulator did not appear in the drop-down list for Visual Studio unless your project’s TargetPlatformVersion was set to 10240.
So, let’s go for it. Download, install and start the Holographic journey!
Greetings @ Toronto
- Windows Holographic Release Notes
- Hololens, install the tools
- Windows Central, Microsoft HoloLens Development Edition gets its first major software update