Finally, I think Xamarin Forms begins to make sense in my head. A nice one in this training ride, is when I start to learn more about Xamarin Forms, at the end I learn a lot about Android and iOS. But still, I miss something as simple as a visual designer for Xamarin Forms pages. I am sure that this is in the Xamarin team Backlog, however (as a good lazy Developer) I try to find an alternative.
After a couple of searches I found Jonathan Yates blog, “Adventures in Xamarin Forms” where there is plenty of interesting material about Xamarin Forms. In one of the blog entries, Jonathan wrote about a tool that allows you to translate Windows Phone XAML code to Pages in Xamarin Forms. The basic steps are
1 start your designs of Windows Phone Designer pages
2 you use the tool to create a new Xamarin Form from the XAML for Windows Phone
The tool name is "Windows Phone Forms to Xamarin Forms" and can be downloaded from the links in the references section. The app user interface is quite simple:
The operation of the tool is based on use Xamarin native controls and syntax, for example
– A TextBlock is translated to a Label
– A TextBox is translated to an Entry
– A StackPanel is translated to a StackLayout
Once the new file is generated we can add the XForm to our project.
Although the translation cover almost all the elements in the page, I had to review the Namespace and other settings to get the Xamarin Form up and running. Lucky for me, this review task took only 15 minutes.
As initial test I think it is enough, Jonathan makes a much more detailed study on how to work with styles, or the configuration of the tool options. When in use, and learn a little more, then it will be time to write a second post.
Saludos @ Madrid
– Jonathan Yates, Adventures in Xamarin Forms http://adventuresinxamarinforms.com/
– Windows Phone Forms to Xamarin Forms http://www.gui-innovations.com/Blog%20Posts/windows-phones-forms-to-xamarin-forms.html
– Material Designer for Xamarin Forms http://adventuresinxamarinforms.com/2015/05/20/material-designer-for-xamarin-forms/